Thanks Wolfgang and Jerome, I have a simple workaround which I should have tried to start with. Your answers reminded me that when I did my custom icons I ended up having to do them in Assembly and linking them in. It turns out that this is actually easier and great so that I can share the files between different QDT modules.

I am now using the default system icons in over half of QDT and should have the rest converted and tuned by tomorrow night. It was exactly as you illustrated, Jerome. Simply a 0 byte and then the icon number in the next byte - with a C pointer to the location of byte 0 (just as Marcel documented the new sprite formats, of course :) ).

Again, thanks for the help. These new icons do really help the appearance!

Cheers,
jim