On Nov 26, 2004, at 1:26 AM, Tony Firshman wrote:

On  Thu, 25 Nov 2004 at 21:07:54, Dave P wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

My only discomfort over Nasta's design is that he is extremely concerned
about efficiency of space. Therefore, he's crammed an awful lot into a
very small 6-layer PCB. I would always be inclined to spread things out a
bit and go for fewer layers. But that's just me - spending a bit extra on
PCB to save the cost in time to shoehorn all those tracks into SUCH a
small space ;)
It is likely, surely, that the bigger PCB with fewer layers is cheaper.
http://www.q-v-d.demon.co.uk/smsqe.htm

I would presume that he is using a couple of the layers for power and ground, which will help a lot with the higher speeds and tend to keep noise off the signals. Also, in manufacturing these days I believe in higher quantities that 6 layers isn't much more (may actually be less than) than 4 layers.

jim