At 19:12 17/05/2005 +0100, Malcolm Cadman wrote:

Then there are the compatibility issues with older software running on newer hardware or emulators.

What do people want to see happen ?

A little while ago Dilwyn gave a comprehensive list of Pointer Env requirements, time consuming, and how many times might such info be given ?

My thoughts were why not a chart in spreadsheet form to show what works where and what does not ?

I would suggest a column for each possible hardware and OS possibility.

Col's for bare QL128, with TK2, then various floppy i/f's (I expect there are difff's between types), then HDD addons, then the newer hardware and various emulators.

If it were posted on the web somewhere individuals could contribute from their experience which toolkit, resource , or programme runs properly.

It would be helpful if version numbers and memory requirements were noted aswell.

It is a pity that the survey was so poorly subscribed and that we learn nothing from it.

There are atleast two very different users, those who have been using all along and those who would try to pick it up again after a long break. The latter is not as easy as it might seem, in the early days one added to noes system gradually, building slowly, very much harder to put everything together in a lump and remember how to write an efficient boot file.

Which was why I made a suggestion under Darren Brannah's New Product Subject (100% ignored) for an emulator and full working environment on a memory card or stick. A complete Newbie could get started right away with a collection of PD software and sample progs.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.322 / Virus Database: 266.11.12 - Release Date: 17/05/2005