----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tubbs"
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Market research

At 19:15 19/05/2005 +0100, you wrote:

About 25% of Quanta members completed the survey.

Does that mean about 75 ?

71 to be precise.

 Professional market research expects a maximum 5% response.

hardly a parallel, victims of Mkt Rsch don't pay £15 pounds not to
participate.

On a similar point , how many members cast votes for the AGM ?

About the same percentage, 25%, either by attendance or proxy. That is
higher than most organisations achieve.

At the time the survey was being tweaked I suggested traders should invite
their customer base to participate, did you or any other do so ?

Tony has the best list of QL users and that will include most clients of
traders. We all pooled our lists some years ago and my client base has not
changed much since then. The cost of mailing all clients would have been
disproportionate to the benefits.

It surprises me that there seems little desire to ascertain just how many
and who are out there, less indeed than my own curiosity in the subject.

My impression from what I hear about the membership of Quanta, QL Today readership, this list and Tony's mailing list is that there are probably now about 1,000 QL-ers worldwide. A surprising fact from the survey was that about 25% of Quanta members are simple black box users with some still using microdrives.

I think you underestimate what was learnt from the survey. That is
understandable because there has been little feedback of the results. John
Southern did give a summary at the AGM, and  I hope it can be repeated on
this list and in the Quanta Magazine (hint! hint! John.)

It did give quite a good picture of QL users and Quanta members and in that
sense was a success. Where it was disappointing for Quanta was that it did
not give a clear idea of the type of projects we could support.

BTW, David, for someone who professes to have a pathological hatred for
Quanta you seem to take an obsessive interest in our affairs. It's almost
like having a stalker ;-).

Yours subversively,
(constructive of course)
Geoff