Την Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:38:31 -0500,ο(η) P Witte
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> έγραψε:

> wolfgang mühlegger writes:
>
>>> Great! Anyone got any info on how to set it up for Wxp/W2k? I can see
>>> the
>>> graphics but the text is unreadable.
>
> <>
>
>> right click the chess.exe
>> choose properties -> compatibility -> win95
>> and on the screen tab tick the fullscreen option.
>>
>> (i have to guess the menu names, because i use geman winXP)
>>
>> btw, i just get it running, if i chosse "IBM Color card" after
>> start. that does NOT mean that the display is colored - that is only
>> a hardware/compatibilty option i think.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it didnt make a difference.
>
> I suppose all this is seriously off-topic ;) However, Id love to get it
> going, as I dont find any of the cracked QL versions playable for a
> variety
> of reasons (most of them just crash). Thing is, the DOS version plays
> alright, but it doesnt seem to have a valid font; all text characters
> just
> show up as the same squiggle (much like viewing a binary file in
> Minerva) My
> XP SP2 is more-or-less out of the box - I havent fiddled with it (very
> much,
> honestly!) Since then Ive tried messing about with the pif - to no
> avail. I
> think something has to be loaded in config.sys - on my machine at least.
> But
> all that fright has been a long time ago now. Just wondered if anyone
> still
> had this stuff at their finger tips?
>
> Per

WinXP hasn't got a "config.sys" per se. What it DOES have is config.nt and
autoexec.nt which are loaded up every time you invoke a cmd or command
session. Find them under c:\windows\system32 (IIRC)

I have been able to start Chess in colour with 3D working too... I have to
find my workaround though which is in my other XP box (already moved to
the new house).
Will get back to you on that

Phoebus