>> I have my son's Epson Stylus C64 set up here at the moment and it
>> has
>> developed a problem - both indicators are blinking which indicates
>> (according to manual) print head unable to return to home position,
>> but it seems to be parked in the home position!
>>
> Hmm, Dilwyn + Hardware = Problems :o)
Might have known Mr Dunbar would say that. Actually, it was my son wot
broke it and me who fixed it after that suggestion from Roy.

> Sorry, I can't help. I recently too my old Stylus 740C to bits as
> the
> cartridge was empty but it wouldn't let me change it. A very
> interesting
> and messy afternoon was spent. Did you know, for example, that the
> vast
> part of the base of an inkjet is a huge sponge built to take a
> lifetime's supply of head cleaning and so on. I was most surprised.
Some printer manuals do say that when you first set up an inkjet, it
is "charged" with ink and that is why the cartridges supplied with the
printerseem to last a lot less than new cartridges you install if you
have to soak up this sponge the first time!

> I don't remeber much in the way of electrical connections in the
> parking
> zone though. Mind you, I did find that it was possible to manually
> move
> the head along the steel bar that it rides on. There's a catch under
> the
> print head (on mine) that you could press to release it - this
> allowed
> the head to be moved out from the park position. It might just be
> that
> your's isn't seated properly when it is parked - there might be a
> bit of
> paper (probaly well inked by now) stuck somewhere ?
It was a slightly bent or loose piece of spring-like plastic which was
preventing the sensor plastic moving properly. The head seemed to
approach the plastic faster than the sensor could move. Between
reseating the plastic and cleaning around it, it seems to work now
although I'm not 100% sure of the exact reason.

> Have you tried refilling them? I have a kit from 'FillJet' which
> comes
> in a nice round plastic box and has a set of black, plus cyan.
> magenta
I did consider that - Tesco here sell the kits, as do PC World.

It was interesting, I tried to get ink cartridges for my son's Epson
C64 too. PC World did the 3 colour ones at about £7 each for
compatibles but not the black! I asked a salesman and he thought they
must be out of stock at first, then realised there was no PEG to hold
them, in other words, they stocked the colour compatibles but not the
black compatibles. The little "guide" ont he shelf confirmed this!

Seems it really was the cheap far-east imports situation. All of the
really cheap ones seem to have disappeared. Companies which stock the
slightly more expensive european compatibles are still selling them.

> California - oops. Still, I've had no problems with mine. I actually
> refill my fountain pen with the same ink - works a treat.
Someone still uses fountain pens :o)