[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Seeing  all this discussion about possible new hardware etc. and the risks
etc.
is  why I've come to the conclusion that there's never going to be any  new
hardware. It's just not economically viable:

(a) The cost in  time and money to design and build would be high.
(b) The size of the  market is too small so the price would be prohibitively
high.

It  would be really nice if magically a new, hyper-fast, QL  compatible
replacement motherboard for the QL which fitted into the case  would appear,
but it's not going to.

Those who want to continue to  play can't find the old upgrade cards anymore
(though I have seen on eBay  UK at the moment someone selling two QLs with one
Gold Card) so there's a  problem.

Porting something like SMS/Q or whatever to a new platform is  still expensive
in time but no-where near as much as new hardware, so  surely, the best way
forward would be to find some easily obtainable  alternative hardware which
can
be easily adapted to our cause. (Sorry, for  me emulation doesn't cut it, it's
too clunky. I want to be able to plug a  machine in, switch on and hit F2.)

This is why I suggested 2nd hand  Amiga 1200s (I know that one of our french
friends said that french  keyboard layout Amigas are hard to come by) as by
default they're faster  than the QL with useful on-board hardware and can be
easily upgraded using  reasonably available 3rd party 68030/040/060 and memory
upgrade boards  which can often be found on eBay.

The only other possible alternatives  would be Ataris, which aren't expanable
and you pay through the nose for a  Falcon040 (if you can find one), or old
Apples, which don't have a great  deal of hardware documentation.

The alternative to replacing the Amiga  Kickstart ROM in the machine would be
to have the OS on disk as software  and get Kickstart to load that instead.
Probably easier than burning ROMs I  would imagine. At least the Amiga
platform
is well documented and close  enough to the QL to make it feasible. (You could
probably even write a  Copper list to make the Amiga video hardware read the
QL
screen format  directly.)

There are very few options available. All of them would  require a huge amount
of work.

Steve

What about a hardware connector that allows an existing amiga accellerator
board to connect to a QL empansion slot or a backplane, would that not be
simpler and give the advantages with less effort?

Duncan