Richard Kilpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: My recently acquired BT Merlin
Tonto just died!

It's been on for a couple of days demonstrating the auto-answer
function; the monitor has been switched off. However, earlier today
the phone line went off the hook in an odd way, and the OPD appears
to be dead - but I don't know if it's the PSU in the monitor which
has failed (I get power lights so I am guessing not, but a
disconnected monitor doesn't seem to do anything of note) or if the
OPD itself has failed and that's why I am not getting anything out of
the monitor.

Are there any common failure points on these?

And does anyone have a medium-res failed OPD colour monitor that has   an
intact lead? I could use that on my colour display to try  and see
if the OPD itself is still working.

Richard, somewhat upset as he's only had the OPD a week :(

Hi Richard

OPD experience
-------------------------

I have a fair amount of OPD experience.

The OPD is reasonably reliable, you just have to watch for loose connections.
The switched mode power supply in the mono and colour monitors can go,
but we have circuit diagrams for these.

The monitors are less reliable than the OPDs, and the base units are
usually rock solid.  The modems sometimes go, but you can substitute
a faulty modem for a working one in seconds.

There are a small band of OPD-ers amongst the QL-ers,
so I'll add you to my list if I may.

OPD monitors
-----------------------

I also know a TV engineer who will repair OPD monitors for a song.
He's fixed some of my mono monitors for me.

You can modify a QL colour monitor to work on an OPD,
but it's easier just to plug the OPD into a mono monitor if you
suspect a fault.

OPD Tips
-----------

I'm preparing an introductory guide for the OPD, and I will include a
chapter on troubleshooting OPD problems such as these.

Please try the following :

How to cure 90% of OPD / Tonto faults :
=============================

a) Power down the OPD.
b) Remove the monitor lead (15 pin D connector)

b) Carefully remove the modem (left hand corner unit)
c) Carefully remove the memory expansion pack (right hand unit)

d) Check for bent pins on the connections leading to b) and c)

    If, and only if a pin is bent, first ground yourself on a radiator
    then take a pair of fine pliers or tweezers (available from maplin)
    and gingerly bend the connection pin back in place.

e) Plug in the memory unit and modem b) c)  and wiggle them around
   a bit.  Try connecting and disconnecting until they feel secure.

f) Plug in monitor lead into the OPD.
   Make sure that the connection is secure, and the thumb screws
   are tight.

----------------

g) Power up the OPD : Power On Self Test (POST)
    ===================================

   It's important to make a note of what happens when the OPD
   initialises.  The OPD's initialisation process is similar to the QL's.

   The OPD does a power on self tests (POST), checking
   each of the sub systems : memory test, modem test, ROM test.

    i) Note the number of vertical bars on the startup screen.
      You should see an equal number of black and white bars.
      In 90% of cases, if the OPD fails the startup test, it's either
      a loose connection on the modem or the memory expansion,
      or a faultly memory chip.

      The memory chips are easy to replace, and they're similar to those
      fitted to the QL.

   ii) The sound of the modem 'clicking' and the led lights flashing.
      If the relay in the modem clicks and the lights flash, you're in business.

   iii) Make a note of any 'memory failure' messages.

Cheers,

Let me know if this cures your OPD.

Dan.