Dilwyn Jones wrote, on 18/Nov/10 11:41 | Nov18:
Dilwyn Jones wrote, on 18/Nov/10 11:27 | Nov18:
<snip>

In time, I'd like to build a beginners section (needs a bettername as it
would be for "returners" too) on my website with articles like this and
some of the more commonly asked questions (such as how to transfer files
between QL and other computers, unzipping etc etc). There are such
articles on there already, but a bit scattered and not easy enough to
find.
"Basics"?

Tony
Good idea! Covers all bases - beginners, less experienced users and
returners.

Thanks, Tony.

Any more suggestions, anyone?

And what sort of topics might such a section include - at the moment I'm
thinking in terms of :

File transfer
Zip/Unzip
expanding a basic QL
contact points (e.g. Quanta, Rich Mellor, QL Today...)
boot programs
pointer environment
operating systems - QDOS versions, Minerva, SMSQ/E...
Essentials to start with... (adding disk systems, adding toolkit 2, etc)
Emulators and "real" QLs compared - how to choose which is right for you
and so on.

A lot of this type of material is already there but needs pulling
together a bit better into a "Basics" section. A new year resolution for
me perhaps. Hopefully I'll be a bit less busy in the new year!

Simple hardware repairs?

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
       t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk