On 14/02/2011 09:19, Plastic wrote:
<snip>
This leads me towards wanting to make a considered and well formed appeal to
people to release some of these machines back into the wild. Do you know a
teenager who has an interest in old computers? Give them a QL and take them
under your wing and show them the fun of the platform. Tell them if they
don't fall in love with it, they can return it to you and it's all good.

If everyone with an extra QL (beyond the necessary spare, of course) found
one person to pass our passion on to, two things would happen:

First, there would be HUNDREDS of new QL users, filled with enthusiasm,
writing new software and making us feel old.

Second, these people would want to buy software, add-ons, and new hardware,
or if they're taken in by speed, they'll happily buy QPC2.

This is good for everyone, all round.

Dave
Young folk will often be interested in games, which I cannot help with. I did have a contact from a chap who had re-visited Spectrum by way of emulator. He knew of the QL and wanted to find out more, but would probably rely on emulation. He took away a year's old Quanta to go through, but looking through one with me, he couldn't understand what was being referred to by name. Now, there have recently been enquiries "who is interested in a backplane". I don't know what a backplane is, and QLwiki is no help; similarly for Aurora - what is it? We must ensure that beginners (and even long-time users like myself) can easily find out what is being talking about, without risking ridicule by asking.

Bryan