On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Tony Firshman <t...@firshman.co.uk> wrote:

> BryanHorstmann wrote, on 18/Feb/11 09:42 | Feb18:
>
>  On 17/02/2011 08:14, Lee Privett wrote:
>>
>>> Might want to take a gander at some QL add-ons from this site, makes
>>> interesting viewing, some of them I wouldn't mind getting but alas!
>>>
>>> http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/museum/sinclair/ql/addons.php
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>> The cognoscenti come up with useful information spread around, showing
>> that there are a bewildering number of "backplanes"; how could a
>> newcomer easily find this?
>>
>> I still don't know what sort of backplane the original enquiry, asking
>> who would buy one, referred to. I must admit that this is an academic
>> exercise, as I wouldn't expect to buy one anyway.
>>
>>  There is really only one 'backplane' - a device that adds extra expansion
> plugs to the QLs expansion connector (sometimes called 'J1' as that is its
> label on QL circuit diagrams).
>
> Dave has not decided exactly what his backplane will look like.
> In all probability he will just build some Mplanes from component stock I
> have - http://tfs.firshman.co.uk/ql/mplane.htm

Well, yes, I do know what 'my' backplanes will look like. :)

I looked at mine, and the other designs out there.

There are two families of design: The riser, which stacks cards up above
each other, and the low profile, which places cards side by side. It seems
to me the side by side design would fit in most cases better, and it gives
better access to the cards, while also allowing them to radiate and convect
heat better.

I think I would design something like the MPlane, but since I already have
the offer to assemble the remainder, I think that's what I should do. Tony
is offering me an exceptional courtesy and I would be foolish not to accept.

It's a no-brainer ;)

Dave