On 26/12/11 15:15, alf...@juno.com wrote:

When THAT happens, it is necessary to spend 5-to-10 minutes (maybe, it
took a longer time -- who can remember?) pressing the button which tells
the printer to CLEAR its print jets (whatever the process is called to
re-initiate the printer).

Breaking with tradition and bottom posting! ;-)

My Epson Stylus 800 was a fine printer, the best one I ever had to be honest. However, as it had a system whereby the cartridge was replaced and the print head remained, then leaving it unused for any "long" length of time resulted in the head gumming up with dried up of gungy ink.

The "press the cleaning buttons" option sometimes worked but simply accelerated the emptying of the cartridge. Way too expensive.

I obtained a proper printer cleaning kit from PC World which contained - amongst other things - a small sponge thing on a long handle and a decent sized bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

Soak the pad with alcohol then apply generously to the print head - I admit it was fiddly to scrub (gently) the head between the platen roller and whatever else was in there - but it worked and reduced the number of refills I needed.

Eventually, I gave up and bought a new printer - an HP 2610 Photosmart all in one - this one replaces the print head along with the ink, and it has never clogged up on me no matter how infrequently I use it.

I prefer to keep my heads but sometimes the better option isn't as good - think VHS versus Betamax - and you just have to adapt.

Also, when I tried to dismantle the Epson once - for fun - I discovered that the vast majority of the internals was nothing more than a huge sponge. Every time the printer cleaned or flushed the head, the sponge absorbed the overspill and eventually became a huge blob of "used" ink.

Very, very, very mucky indeed! However, it did solve the riddle of where all the ink went!

Happy 2010 everyone.

Cheers,
Norm.

--