I see from the current issue of Quanta that a joky "quote of the show" referring to Lee's removal of components from pcbs using a blow torch.

This is not a joke. I too used a purpose built 2kw hot air gun to selectively remove components from QL pcbs. This I suspect is similar to the 'blow torch' Lee used - nothing like the gas powered paint strippers one no doubt imagines.

After much practise I managed to remove a whole dodgy std 68008 socket on its own. A quick re-blast on the pads and the new turned pin socket popped in without soldering. It was not possible to detect that it was not the original soldering.

I must have removed thousands of components in this way, including the uhf modulator.

Tony

--
       t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman