From: Tony Firshman <t...@firshman.co.uk>
Subject: [Ql-Users] Blowtorches
To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Date: Wednesday, 9 May, 2012, 14:09

I see from the current issue of Quanta that a joky "quote of the show"
referring to Lee's removal of components from pcbs using a blow torch.

This is not a joke.  I too used a purpose built 2kw hot air gun to selectively
remove components from QL pcbs.  This I suspect is similar to the 'blow torch'
Lee used - nothing like the gas powered paint strippers one no doubt imagines.

After much practise I managed to remove a whole dodgy std 68008 socket on its
own.  A quick re-blast on the pads and the new turned pin socket popped in
without soldering.  It was not possible to detect that it was not the original
soldering.

I must have removed thousands of components in this way, including the uhf
modulator.

Tony

--        t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman