Evening Tony,

On 09/05/12 14:09, Tony Firshman wrote:
I see from the current issue of Quanta that a joky "quote of the show"
referring to Lee's removal of components from pcbs using a blow torch.

This is not a joke. I too used a purpose built 2kw hot air gun to
selectively remove components from QL pcbs. This I suspect is similar to
the 'blow torch' Lee used - nothing like the gas powered paint strippers
one no doubt imagines.
My image when I hear the word "blowtorch" is of my dad filling his with paraffin and pumping it for what seemed ages to get some pressure up and then a huge blue flame!

It was a big brass thing with a decent reservoir for fuel, taps and pumps, possibly a "Primus" but I'm not sure. I think he still has it, somewhere!

We used to to melt lead for fishing weights. Also melted a few of my mothers old pans, aluminium I think.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar