Derek,

I guess it won’t. This has been discussed quite a bit in the past, but in my
opinion, there’s no compatible way to overcome this limitation whithout a
fundamental change in how device drivers work together with the operating
system.

The file/path name length in QDOS/SMSQE is deeply buried in the channel
definition block which is not allocated by the device driver, but instead by
the operating system itself. Without changing that part of the OS, the device
driver can’t do much about it. Once the OS is changed, it would create files no
longer accessible with the „original“ OS.

What could be done, maybe, would be a similar kludge to what MS did when they
introduced long file names - mainly „translating“ long names into short ones
that can be handled by an unchanged OS. Short names would still be limited to
the known path name length, though.

Along that line, there used to be a promising extension named „QVFS“ by
Hans-Peter Recktenwald that allowed the usage of longer path names as an
„overlay“ on top of the actual device driver - The code is still around, but
has never been widely adopted, because it  was not exactly easy to handle.

Regards,
Tobias