> On August 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM Norman Dunbar <nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Evening all,
>
> I've had a quick look on Opera and Firefox - both on Linux, and both
> pages are identical except for the DJC version which has an extra blank
> line after the heading. This is at any screen size by the way.
>
> Opera is version 12.16 for Linux while
> Firefox is version 31.0 for Linux.
>
> Looking at the source HTML, I don't see any <P> tags - in either page.
> The text appears to be a solid block of text with a pair of <BR> tags
> between each "paragraph".
>
> Having seen this line:

> I wonder exactly what tool was used to build the HTML page? If it was
> Word, or similar, then all bets on standard HTML are off! ;-)
>
> I may be wrong, but surely this is not valid HTML, it's certainly not
> strict HTML at the very least.
>
> STOP PRESS - ok, who changed the pages when I was in mid rant??? It
> seems that most, but not all of the <br><br> pairs have now been
> converted to proper <p> tags. There are still a couple left though in
> the headings at the top of the page!
>

> Using Opera, and the latest version of the two pages, passing them
> through the W3C html validator gives each page the following 4 errors:
>
> Line 2, Column 15: there is no attribute "XMLNS:V"
>
> You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
> document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
> element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
> document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
> "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using
> vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually
> fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
>
> This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in
> the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
> supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error
> message for further information.
>
> How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
> (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both
> allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
> attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to
> incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.
>

> Line 6, Column 85: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
> …nk rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/QLManualStyle.css"
> media="all" />
>
> For the current document, the validator interprets strings like <FOO />
> according to legacy rules that break the expectations of most authors
> and thus cause confusing warnings and error messages from the validator.
> This interpretation is triggered by HTML 4 documents or other SGML-based
> HTML documents. To avoid the messages, simply remove the "/" character
> [...]

OK - glad it seems to now be working...

I know the header is wrong - it was stolen from something else - I can't
remember what - just email what you would want me to put in the header.

Please remember that this is designed to be a community project now - it is no
good people moaning about the HTML etc - maybe you don't know the history of the
online version of the manual...

The SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual is written in Text 87 using the ESC/P2
drivers - to create the online version, basically it has been printed to a file
(in full ESC/P2 glory) which is then run through a SuperBASIC conversion routine
to generate the HTML code.  The header is stored separately and merged as part
of the conversion program.  I wrote the original conversion program, but ran out
of spare time to finish it, with my current health, I have had to concentrate on
spending what little time I am available to do anything on doing paid work which
covers my bills.

Thomas Kral has done some further work on the conversion code and will soon be
publishing this on the QL Forum thread - sorry for those of you who will not use
the forum, but it is too convoluted to post everything twice on there and on
here.

Because of the way the conversion works, I doubt that it would be possible to
add <p></.p> tags to paragraphs automatically - much in the same way that the
pages will need hand editing to get rid of the extra line breaks in the middle
of paragraphs (as that will ruin the program listings and other information!)

If you want to contribute to the project or have ideas on how to improve the
conversion program, then please join in on the QL Forum thread.

The sidebar was just a rough and ready way of demonstrating what could be done
so people could navigate around the manual - if someone wants to tidy it up and
make the HTML compliant, then please do so!!

I don't mean to rant over this, but people need to work together to resolve
these issues....

Current projects which I have instigated which ALL need more hands:
- QL Commercial Software Preservation Project
- QL Wiki updates
- SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual Online
- Tracking down the copyright holders of QL Commercial Software to get it
re-released.

There is still more work required on the Sinclair QL Homepage - Dilwyn is slowly
still working through lots other public domain software libraries and adding
information.

Lots of hands make light work.....

Rich Mellor
RWAP Software