>> My solution (perhaps not unique, I don't claim it, but I haven't seen it used
>> elsewhere) exploits the fact that a job waiting for Input/Output with an
>> infinite timeout (D3=-1) will only ever get 'not complete' (D0=-1) returned
>> if MT.RELJB/SMS.USJB (release job from suspension) has been used on it.
>(snip)

>FiFi has implemented a two job scheme like that for quite some
>time, except that the main job (not the one reading the pointer)
>passes an event to the job reading the pointer whenever it needs to
>update the window. Thjis ALSO causes a return from the read
>pointer loop. The job reading the pointer then suspends itself - the
>main job does whatever it has to do in the window and then
>releases the suspended pointer read job.

>Wolfgang

But what do you do for systems not using SMSQ 2.71+ ?
(PTR_GEN for QDOS/Minerva does not support SMS.SEVT)

Although I haven't seen FiFi, I notice other programs that are able to maintain
a pointer over a shared window under SMSQ fails under QDOS + PE. The way I
described does work for the pointer environment per se :-)

BTW did some Event bits ever adopt a standard?

Regards,
Dave.