On  Mon, 18 Nov 2002 at 14:46:00, Jochen Merz wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>Hi,
>
>I think that the average user is not too worried about the fact that one
>system may be a bit faster than the other one on number crunching or
>Benchmarks. The daily work is not benchmark, it is usually a lot of
>everything, including I/O (I think that's what Roy said some time ago).
>
>Printing over the PAR device on a Q40 was very slow, for example.
Indeed.  The problem as I recall was that the Q40 hardware was not
expecting a momentary IRQ.  We had to disable the hardware interrupt,
and Tony T did it with software timing.  I assume that is why its slow.

>I/O is the key in many other aspects. Have you ever tried an optical
>mouse? If so, would ever want to go back to a ball mouse? I don't
>think so. Without a PS/2 connector or USB on the Qx0's it will
>be hard to find a mouse for the serial port in general, let alone a
>hi-tech mouse (although cordless and optical are fairly cheap nowadays).
It should be possible to use a ps2 to serial converter.  USB though is a
major problem.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk