??? 28/11/2002 6:15:28 ??, ?/? "TonyTebby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ??????:

>In the PC / Unix world, a slow system is less than 500 - 1000 MIPs
>ProWesS is fast on very slow systems (50 MIPS) and works well on
>extraordinarily slow systems
>
>> However, as you said, ProWesS is a very nicely put together sample of
>> object coding
>
>Wrong!!! It's an outstanding achievement.
>
>> greatly simplifying many tasks.
>
>Greatly simplifying, but still requiring programming skills

My objections are not in coding ProWesS stuff, which I find a great deal easier to
use than the PE.
They have to do with its appearance mainly. I am geared towards using the
Proforma engine only (like LineDesign IIRC). When only Proforma is used then the
results are outstanding.
IMHO, a improved PE (looking the way I want it... btw I have now finished all the
icons (pending Marcel's approval) and anyone who wants to take a look, I can send
you either Icons or sample Screenshots in PNG format)  ;-) paired with PROforma
will provide a usable base for most types of Graphics-intensive applications and can
blow the socks off of Windows any day on any system :-) (Well sort of).
In such a case I think I could sacrifice ease of programming for extreme usability
(and good looks... which as everybody knows for me are extremely important).

The PE on the otherhand when run on a Mode 4 system has an elegance in its
'abstract look' but as it is currently, on a GD2 system... well it's butt-ugly :-D
(Exceptions to the above are the extremely well put-together apps of Jochen Merz
which look good anywhere...)

Don't get me wrong and I surely don't want to offend anyone but looks ARE
important for me at least :-)

>If you find this incomprehensible, try deciphering the standard C++ "Hello
>World", I've tried and I failed. I think I'll stick with assembly language.

Wait until you make a VC++ program using User32 ;-) hehe... now that's stuff not
even the designer of Visual Studio wouldn't understand :-)

>There are other simpler methods. How about
>
>alert('Hello World') .... (Javascript)
>
>Perhaps instead of pursuing WMAN, we could try an HTML / CSS window manager?

A presentable WMAN w/ PROforma can render HTML very nicely. HTML on the other
hand  is VERY limited in describing the complexities of a windowing system. (Even
with CSS)... XML is another story, but who's going to write a parser?

>The main difficulties are the font and image rendering and Joachim has
>really mastered that.

True! (Although TTF would be greatly appreciated :-)

Phoebus