In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Derek Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

HI,

There is no benfit of using 80 wire IDE cables, as the IDE controller can
not take advantage of the higher speeds like on PCs...

I was commenting in general. The Q.xx controller is ATA 66 isn't it ? I don't recall seeing any other ones on IDE
I have build many PCs, and it does not matter where to the CDROM is or
device on the IDE cable. Unless it using 80 wire conductors or uses cable
select.
I have had problems with some - Plextor CD-RWs usually. I was very puzzled the first time it happened when I built a machine for someone who wanted to use the DVD writer out of his old machine. I set the Plextor up as a slave and stuck it on the middle connector so I could just put the DVD-ROM drive in - damn thing would not even see the drive to let me install any software until I moved it.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.