On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:13:59 +0100, Marcel Kilgus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Phoebus R. Dokos (ÃÃÃÃÃÃ Ã. ÃÃÃÃÃÃ)" wrote:
In any case, it's a fairly complicated implementation. The only logical
solution would be to support Peter Graf with qlwIP as it already works
fine (although slow due to the round-robin style QL scheduler).

A solution that should work with existing SMSQ/E versions has been provided (rescheduling after IRQ). All Peter says to this is "it didn't work under QDOS". Anyway it's not even sure whether his current approach fails under SMSQ/E. According the the mails I've read it hasn't even been tried!

True. In any case I was talking about QDOS (Classic) and Minerva. Unbelievable as it may seem, there are users that still require full compatibility with QDOS and SMSQ/e is not an option for them. I have talked to a few (one used Flashback that will not work properly under SMSQ/e AFAIK) and a couple of others running custom QDOS-based software, that unfortunately cannot work with SMSQ/e either.

So, even if we really needed a new scheduler, which I think we don't,
Peter wouldn't be able to use it as he refuses to use any new SMSQ/E
version. Catch 22.

You are absolutely right. SMSQ/e's scheduler is indeed adequate (although it could potentially be made better but that would require so drastic a change that wouldn't be worth it).
As far as Peter's choice for compatibility and openess, without getting back in the same argument, let's say that it is his choice after all and no one can actually say anything about it :-). Regardless of that, qlwIP indeed works fine and is the only high-speed option available at least for ethernet. With an appropriate driver soQL could do the same things, and potentially better as it is a new implementation, unlike qlwIP that is a port (of sorts). -Note here that I know that Peter has done extensive modifications to the lwIP suite so it's not a 100% port but a combination port and original software-.
The not-so-obvious advantage of QlwIP is that it is tested and working for years in a variety of machines, the least of which is a Commodore 16! (If that can work then apparently the software is very good :-) soQL is still being tested and from time-to-time does things in inexplicable ways so one has to choose which one he likes :-)

OK, perhaps somebody could provide QDOS classic with a new scheduler.
But then again, I could also win the lottery on Saturday.

I hope you do ;-) And since I keep my fingers crossed for you, I'll be happy with a 10,000 Euro grant from your winnings :-P

Hehe

Phoebus

--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)