Hi John

if you zoom out of a raster map the time to reload the map can be quite long. Depending on your map and hardware.  For that reason QMS stops loading the map if a certain threshold of pixel is exceeded. Of course this is only an estimate and most modern PCs can do better. You have 2 options to influence that behavior:

1) https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmapshack/wiki/DocControlMapDem#markdown-header-map-and-dem

You manually define the range of visibility. Follow the instructions from the Wiki and from the tool tips of the GUI

2) You add overviews to your map. Have a look into the VRT Builder. You probably used it to create a VRT of for your map. This solution is the recommended one.

QMS vs QLGT ;)

While I was working on QLGT I constantly had to digest comments like: How could you dare to build such a shitty GUI. It's not intuitive. This large main menu is crap. Why can't it be like GoogleEarth, Basecamp, CompeLand? And so on.

Since QMapShack went into mainstream I read the same about it. Funny enough I read - not only from you - that QLGT is so much easier and better. Whoa, Phoenix rising from the ashes ;)

But that is ok, because there is the same endless discussion on Mapsource vs Basecamp. (btw I think both of them are not very intuitive, complicated to use and have a lot of short commings).  So it seems to be normal that some users don't like that or this. At the end of the day I do not give a damn. Users will go on to confuse "intuitive" with "the way I am used to it". They will always complain, that their particular need is not addressed by an omnipresent super function. They will always tell that for their need it would be sufficient to do only this or that, completely ignoring that other users might have other needs. And if you try to address all needs the solution is not always that simple.

Anyway, QMapShack was created because there where severe problems in QLandkarte that could not be solved without doing it different and completely from scratch. The major one where:

1) The way new Garmin devices and TwoNav devices handled data could not be presented in QLGT's GUI. QLGT did it the old Garmin way. Everything out, everything in. If you load a GPX it either replaced everything or it simply went into the whole soup of data. No way save it again without all the other stuff. The more modern devices use single files to store data. By that you can change, delete or add data without affecting all the other data. And of course users of modern devices want to have the same in their PC's GIS application. That is the reason why there are projects in QMapShack. And honestly, I think that is much better for planning and working with data from several sources. And even if it is just loading a single GPX file. At least I know what file I loaded.

2) Maps and DEM are complicated in QLGT. You can only load one at a time. You have to attach DEM data to each map. The DEM data has to have the same projection as the map. If you try to attach the same DEM data to several maps with different projections you have to create copies for each projection. And I do not recall how often I had to explain how that layer thing with the qmap files works. And how to load a Garmin map with that tdb and basemap file.

Now it is much easier. You use the same *.img file in QMapShack as on your device. You have one copy of DEM data and you can use it for all maps and projections as the DEM layer is completely independent of the map layer. You do not have to register maps to be listed. QMapShack simply lists all maps available in a directory. You can combine all kinds of maps. So you are never left with white spots.

3) Selecting functions to edit items is chaotic in QLandkarte. This is due to an evolutionary process leading away from the main menu towards displaying available tools right at the items. And in QLGT you have to select an item in the list, to edit the item. But many users think it's more intuitive to click on the item in the map. I agree on that and took a lot of care in QMS to keep menus and toolbars consistent. In QMS you can select a tool from the item's context menu in the list. And you can click on the item in the map to access the available tools. In my opinion this is much better than these endless toolbars in other applications eating away screen real estate. Or the rather erratic approach in QLGT.

4) QLandkarte's GUI is not flexible enough for all requirements. The GUI is just a splitter view with tab widgets. Impossible to re-arange it or to get rid of stuff you never use. QMapShack consequently uses dock widgets. You can arrange these widgets to your personal taste. And you can get rid of the stuff you do not use. This is a benefit for all users. Those that like simplicity strip the GUI to a bare minimum. Those that like features can stack all functional dialogs as they like.