>       But it seems that qmail isn't backing off, probably
> because it gets a connect rather than getting a refusal.
>
>       Should qmail be backing off?  Is accepting+dropping connections
> documentably wrong, that I should complain to them about it?
> What's the deal?

        Part of the problem cleared up - the accept+drop behavior appears to
be what you get when you turn off the SMTP proxy capabilities of Raptor
firewall.  I'm guessing that the "connect" is accepted by the firewall,
which then drops it when it figures out the actual target isn't available.

        Are there gauntlet/raptor users out there who are familiar with
qmail through the firewall?  We had our ISP turn off the SMTP proxy
capabilities because they were making it hard for me to figure out why some
mail wasn't delivering well, so maybe it does the same with or without SMTP
proxy enabled...

--
    gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]