Scott Gifford writes:
 > Gabriel Ambuehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 > > > [ ... ]
 > > > To protect the POP password.
 > >
 > > But wouldn't it be way easier to just use APOP? Or does that one have
 > > its own security implications?
 >
 >   The only particularly nasty implication of using APOP are that it
 > requires that the server have the password stored in plaintext.  The
 > security aspect of that is that if somebody can steal the password
 > file from a system, they have direct access to all accounts, compared
 > to storing one-way hashes of passwords, which would make them run
 > crack first and they still wouldn't get well-chosen passwords.  The
 > maintainability aspect is that standard UNIX passwords aren't stored
 > in plaintext, so you can't use APOP to authenticate against a standard
 > UNIX passwd file.

The APOP password only controls access to the e-mail POP account.  It
DOES NOT have anything to do with a UNIX login account!  In fact, if you
allow both shell and pop access, snooping the POP password gives you the
shell password, whereas you can set a single APOP password that gives
access to e-mail and has absolutely nothing to do with shell access.
Thus, in spite of (or because of) the clear-text APOP password storage
on the server, you cannot compromise anything except e-mail by
discovering the APOP password.

 >   POP over SSL solves both of these, by making no changes to the POP
 > protocol, but just encrypting the whole session.

SSL for e-mail (especially POP) is extreme overkill, causing untold
client and server configuration difficulties for little or no effect,
seeing as SMTP is unencrypted...

/Joe