From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 12:10 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: questions about performance and setup

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 07:01:46PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> >Then have the script that does the mailing call randomly
> >on of the /var/qmail#/bin/qmail-inject. This will emulate round robin
> >without any patching.
>
> Won't this way be a performance hit though?  I admit, it is an easy
solution

No. My experience is that the cost of running a script to inject the mail
in a way similar to that mentioned above, is pretty small compared to the
queue injection cost and the delivery cost. sh or perl will be fine.

> and would work excellent, but I have to think about efficiency also.  C
code
> is much faster than shell or perl, and I'd like to set it up once and not
> have to ever worry about again, or at least for a long, long time.
>
> As I said, we're doing 50 million emails a month right now, but this is
> increasing substantially each month, and as we rollout new subscription
> services, we'll have even more load.  Sending 10 times this amount by the
> same time next year is a good possibility, possibly sooner as we seem to
> underestimate the rate at which we're growing much of the time...

You may also need to look at the scalability of the generation of the
emails. One system I recently looked at claimed to be able to generate
nicely unique emails at a targetted database, but it burned CPU like
it was free - just in generating the content.

Mark.