On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 08:26:59PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:

Hi Peter,

> > a script to move the larger mail into a seperate IP and then login
> > to that IP and get the bigger mail at night ?
> > or have you something else in mind.

> When you run 'maildirsmtp', that in turn runs maildirserial which runs
> tcpclient which runs serialsmtp.
> Changing maildirsmtp's operation to, for  example, handling bigger messages
> in a separate thread, would only require patching/replacing maildirserial
> to spawn two tcpclient+serialsmtp's instead of one. Filtering at delivery
> seems useless to me because that would mean you spread your mail over 2
> Maildirs.

Fortunately or unfortunately I am not able to generate a patch like that.
If someone would like to help with a patch then I would like to test it
out, but writing it, that I could not do.

What I have done for the time being and it works me as a stop gap till
further things are developed.

Thanks for you tips, and please let me know what you come up with.

Jacob
Sri Lanka

/etc/ppp/ip-up.local.small
--------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# this script is running during Day time

# this will move large messages to the /var/qmail/alias/pppdir2 directory
find /var/qmail/alias/pppdir/ -size +30 -exec mv {} /var/qmail/alias/pppdir2/new/ \;

# This will send and recive mail the moment the ppp connection is up
# To close the ppp connection when there is no more activity.
# you put idle -25 in an option file called option.autoturn

PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH
maildirsmtp ~alias/pppdir alias-ppp- 203.115.29.130 metta.lk

/etc/ppp/ip-up.local.large
--------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# this script is run at Night.

# this will move large messages to the /var/qmail/alias/pppdir2 directory
mv /var/qmail/alias/pppdir2/new/* /var/qmail/alias/pppdir/new

# This will send and recive mail the moment the ppp connection is up
PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH
maildirsmtp ~alias/pppdir alias-ppp- 203.115.29.130 metta.lk

/var/spool/cron/root
1 5 * * * cp -f /etc/ppp/ip-up.local.small /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
1 22 * * * cp -f /etc/ppp/ip-up.local.large /etc/ppp/ip-up.local

I have done something similar on the incoming server side.
My OS's are Redhat 6.0

--
 A saying of the Buddha from http://metta.lk/
Having slain mother (craving) and father (conceit) and two warrior kings (views based