I recall from an earlier discussion of a similar problem that a
perceived consensus was reached that a good way to do this kind
of thing is to patch qmail-remote so that if
the message is too big to send, it appears as a temporary error
without even attempting to connect.
also the definition of "too big to send" is read in from the file
system in such a way that it can be easily monitored, and easily
manipulated by a cron job.  Something like the (non)existence of
/var/mail/control/okay-to-send-big.

After the status changes, an ALRM signal is generated to reprocess
all backed up mail (most of which is there due to being oversize,
it is hoped) and that is that.

I do not know if this approach can be applied to maildirsmtp and
serialmail.

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Originator of the world's first combination bassinet and table saw