On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:30:47AM -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
> Motonori seems to have thought that the "smtp" service entry in
> master.cf controlled outgoing concurrency, when, in fact, it controls
> incoming concurrency.

I think still this is not correct. Actually there are two 'smtp', one
for incoming (smtpd daemon), one for outgoing (smtp daemon). I think,
Monotori was not make any mistakes with this regard.

> It could be a factor if any of the test addresses had duplicate
> hostnames. Since they were of the form nobody@FQDN, they were
> apparently all unique.

Where such a conclusion come from? The author never mentions about
the number of domains in the evaluations.

> Firstly, those rates are for DNS queries, not SMTP deliveries. Second,
> a steeper slope doesn't necessarily mean it's faster. The equation is:
>
>   y = N x + a
>
> and the "a" can be a significant factor.

Better you consult the graph's legend and read 'How to read the
graphs'. In this regard, 'a' mean, number of message(s) sent after
the first dns query. As you see in postfix, it has negative value, so
it 'doesn't mean' anything, in this regard.

> Perhaps...that hasn't been proven in a published test, to my
> knowledge. I'd also like to see the effect of running a local
> dns cache (both djbdns and BIND).

You're right. I just do a little, very unscientific test :-)

BTW, if you're right, i.e the evaluation just do single rcpt to
deliveries, then I did't see any reason to say that postfix is better
than qmail and vice versa.

Salam,

P.Y. Adi Prasaja