Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:07:24 -0700
   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   > The information is passed via the environment variable
   > QMAILQUEUELIFETIME to qmail-inject, which uses a new code (L) in the
   > todo file.  qmail-send moves this new code over to the info file, and
   > honors it when bouncing messages.

   Hmm. A more devious hack might be to adjust the mtime of the info file to be
   time() + QMAILQUEUELIFETIME - control/queuelifetime. The cost would be
   much closer to zero then - albeit at the cost of a misleading info file...

The problem is that the information has to get from qmail-inject to
the info file.  qmail-inject creates a todo file.  It is qmail-send
which reads the todo file, and creates the info file.  So the
information must be recorded in the todo file in some fashion.  It
could be done by fiddling the mtime of the todo file, and having
qmail-send copy the mtime of the todo file over to the info file.  But
I don't think that is significantly cheaper than what I implemented.

Also it would make the qmail-qread output misleading.

Ian