On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:12:09 +0100, Johan Almqvist
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Quoting http://cr.yp.to/proto/mxps.txt
>
>"  Example:
>[...]
>      B.EXAMPLE.ORG  IN  MX  12801  A.EXAMPLE.ORG
>                     IN  MX  12816  C.EXAMPLE.ORG
>[...]
>   A sender with a message for B.EXAMPLE.ORG will try A.EXAMPLE.ORG by
>   QMTP, then C.EXAMPLE.ORG by SMTP. If it does not support QMTP, it may
>   try SMTP instead of QMTP, or it may skip A.EXAMPLE.ORG."
>
>Note the "...or it may skip..." part.

I've read that page a few times myself. Since I'm not a native English
speaker, I'm having trouble figuring out what it *exactly* means. In
particular, the "it" in "If it does not support QMTP, ...". Does "it"
refer to "a sender with a message for B.EXAMPLE.ORG"? (That would make
sense.) In that case, you have the possibilities: 1) MXPS-aware sender
with *no support* for QMTP. Such a sender would most likely skip
A.EXAMPLE.ORG. (But it could just as well deliver via SMTP) 2) A
'normal' sender, without MXPS or QMTP. Such a sender would just
deliver to the lowest preference using SMTP only.

But I'm interested in the case where an MXPS-aware QMTP-capable sender
tries to deliver a message to quadpro.stupendous.org (with MX records
set according to [1], but finds port 209 (QMTP) unavailable. Will such
a sender then (directly after the failure to deliver to
a.mx.stupendous.org using QMTP): 1) try to deliver to
b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org using SMTP or 2) try to deliver to
a.mx.stupendous.org using SMTP? And if I change the MX-records to [2],
will that behaviour change?

[1]
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

[2]
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12832 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

end
--
    Jurjen Oskam * carnivore! * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key
assassinate nuclear iraq clinton kill bomb USA eta ira cia fbi nsa kill