On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, peter green wrote:
> If your users are filling a /var partition of 4GB, you (a) handle an
> extraordinary amount of high-latency e-mail, (b) are mismanaging your mail
> server (hint: databytes), and/or (c) you have extremely rude lusers sending
> MP3s and whatnot through the system (in which case they need to be beaten).

All it takes is for someone to send a 300MB attachment to an internal list
having about 60 people on it.  That's already 18 gigs.  Been there, seen
that.  And the user was a well educated computer professional.  With the
current disk prices I would _never_ put less than 4 gigs on /var and would
try my best to have at least that much free space on /home.  Fortunately
I'm not currently administering anything more complex than two low-traffic
pass-through systems :)