On 12/07/2012 08:45 AM, Angus McIntyre wrote:

Eric Shubert wrote:
Why wouldn't you use the native mail program on an Ipad?
I use a native mail program on any mobile device. (K-9 mail on android)

The Apple Mail client will pull stuff only from your top-level inbox.

Not true. It depends on how you have the imap server configured. That's what bugged me about Courier, and led me to implement dovecot.

Here's a snippet from the toaster.conf dovecot configuration:
namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
# prefix = INBOX.
# Use 'prefix = INBOX.' for Courier-IMAP compatible transparent migration.
# This forces all client apps to create subfolders underneath/within
# the inbox instead of adjacent to it. It's not necessary to be that way.
# (shubes thinks this setting is annoying/ridiculous/retarded)
  separator = .
  type = private
}

You do of course need to subscribe to whatever folders you want on the client. I don't personally use Apple stuff, but my wife uses Apple Mail and kids use Ipads with mail. Folders abound outside of the inbox, with no problems.

I use procmail to sort some kinds of traffic - mailing lists, for example
- into other mailboxes. If I use Apple Mail or Sparrow or whatever, I
can't see those (unless I get fancy by setting up fake users for each
one). So I end up using a webmail client to get at the contents of the
other mailboxes.

I'm not sure about server side filters with Apple Mail. I expect that you'd simply need to subscribe to the folders though, and it should sync them up. I do intend to get dovecot's pigeonhole implemented at some point, which will provide user tailorable server side filtering.

SquirrelMail is OK, but not great for this on iPad, and close to unusable
on smaller form-factor devices. Haven't tried Roundcube.

I think we would probably all agree that SM is ok in a pinch, but wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis.

That's my reason for wanting a mobile-friendly webmail client. Others may
have other reasons.

I still think you'll be best served by a native mobile mail app.

FWIW though, I've never been happy enough with any web mail app to use it regularly. I'm looking forward to seeing Roundcube though. Speaking of which, the initial version of RC was made available with QMT at one point, but it had some serious security problems so it was pulled. It's probably time to revisit making it available with QMT. Of course, I think that QMT shouldn't necessarily offer only one webmail solution. Webmail's not at all part of the "core" QMT, so the more the merrier. QMT will generally work with any IMAP/Pop3 client. Note that with respect to QMT, webmail is a Client, not a Server. ;)