Thursday, December 6, 2012, 9:35:08 PM, Eric wrote:

ES> Why wouldn't you use the native mail program on an Ipad?

Our staff can only reach their email from within our externally hosted
Intranet. A link from there goes through a pass-through authentication
proxy (which we run anyway for patron access to subscription
databases) to reach our LAN and thence to Squirrelmail. That puts most
of the burden of security on the outsourced Intranet rather than on
our webmail server. Our firewall blocks outside SMTP and POP access to
the Qmail server (as well as HTTP requests heading for anything other
than the EZProxy server); incoming mail passes through the firewall to
a Barracuda anti-spam device which then passes it off to the Qmail
server. So, native mail programs on mobile devices aren't an option.
Thus, the need for a solid webmail offering that works reasonably well
on mobile devices.

Most of our library staff only receive a handful of messages at their
work address in a week - mostly shifts available and the occasional
HR-related inquiry. Staff can access their mail adequately through
webmail; there's no overwhelming *need* for them to have direct
POP/IMAP/SMTP access, therefore it's highly unlikely that we'd open up
the firewall to give that to them. The situation would most likely
change if we were dealing with a high volume of messages per staff
member.

--
Best regards,
 Diana                            mailto:dcal...@essexcountylibrary.ca