Thank you Andre, for putting that much more tactfully. My frustration is not
due to anyone on this list, but a more general frustration with modern UIs that
lack intuitiveness. It seems that it's assumed tht people will click around and
explore the UI, however I claim this is a product of bad design to start with.
I spent a lot of time in the 90s and 2000s studying UIs. And in fact I give *a
ton* of credit to Qt made making great UIs easily. There was once a process
that I used to to go through of UI normalization, which is derived from
database normalization (3NF and the like). There were a few common rules that
when applied would result in a very clear, intuitive UI. I constantly have to
explain these to people graduating with degrees in design. Too concerned with
colors, padding and fonts, the usability is overlooked. 6 steps to so something
that could happen in 2, and without cluttering the UI.

Anyway, to bring it back to the matter at hand, yes, you are again correct. My
conclusion of "buttons" is too specific to engage in a cooperative dialog. I'm
open to a variety of UI solutions.
I see it in my mind as:
Build & Run      [+] [^] | // (+ = Add Kit, ^ =import icon)
- Platform1              |
--Build                  |
--Run                    |
-OR-
Build & Run              |
[+ Kit]  [Import]        | // or move to bottom of Build & Run area, below
platform list.
- Platform1              |
--Build                  |
--Run                    |

I remain open to alternatives. Like, we could see what other platforms or
builds are available, and offer them with an "activate" button.

So while fiddling around some more, it seems this last option is already the
case (See attached) There are grayed out options, and when I click on them they
get a red exclamation. Neat. Id on't know why this didn't work to begin with?
But it does now.

One suggestion is when I click on the Platform, it selects the build child
item. It might be useful to display the context menu since I effectively can't
do anything with the platform item. But if I right click on the platform, I can
disable it (or copy steps). It's be a good way to clue the user into the
availability of a context menu.