Greg [and all,]

If you're sitting on your commode chair for two hours your sweating my have
something to do with pressure--those seats aren't padded very well.

It seems we all have our own systems for bowel programs, but sometimes things
change.  I'll describe how I do mine, in case it might be of help to others.

As a c5-6 quad I am able to tell when I need to have a bowel movement because
of
a certain chill I get, plus some sweating that accompanies that (mild A.D.
symptoms.)  Generally I need to 'go' every other day, but it depends on how
much, and what, I've had to eat or drink.

Once I feel the need to use the toilet I inform my caregiver and he transfers
me
to my shower/commode chair, pulls my pants down, rolls me over the toilet and I
do my business.  Generally this takes less than 15 minutes and requires no
suppository or digital stimulation.  I do, however, use a stimulus that works
well for me:

Years ago I figured out that when in the shower if I sprayed a blast of hot
water underneath me [onto my rectum] it would stimulate my bowels every time.
The water has to be hot, but not hot enough to scald or burn, obviously.
Anyhow, the hot water sprayed underneath, briefly, causes irritation and
promotes the parastalsis to begin.

My shower is right next to my toilet, so when I'm sitting on my commode chair
over the toilet I can still use the [hand-held] showerhead to spray underneath
me and get things started.  This is also a good way to clean myself underneath,
after the BM.  Yes, the water does sometimes get all over the bathroom floor,
but that's an easy cleanup with a towel.

As such, I have found that a set bowel time for me every other day does not
work.  Because I let my body tell me when it's time my BMs are fairly natural,
quick and easy.  However, there are drawbacks to this system as well.  First,
it
requires access to your caregiver at short notice [my caregiver lives with me,
so it works out.]  And, second, it's more difficult to schedule around.

[Another thing that has always been a laxative/stimulant for me is coffee.  A
cup of coffee about 20 minutes before wanting to do a bowel program starts this
moving for me.]

I hope this info helps someone.
Don.