on 28/12/2002, Sque <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I finally looked at "About this Computer" and my Q800 is a Centris650?
> As I bought the board without a case I did find some info on the web
> about the part # on the mobo, stating it was a Q800.
> So my question is this: What program will tell me what mhz the cpu is
> running at under 7.1 or 7.5 and what is the difference apart from the 8mhz?
> Still a big improvement over the Q700.

A noticable improvement considering they both have the same CPU and clock
speed. Get the Quadra 650 mobo and you'll see an improvement over the C650
too.

"Guru" is a great freeware app for quick info on mobo cpu speeds and RAM
specs. Don't know it's URL offhand, but Newertech made it, so it should be
easy to track down.

Guru says; "the Centris 650 has a 25MHz CPU, Apple says this is a 50MHz
machine, since the clock speed is doubled inside the processor chip.
However, all the I/O to the processor is done at 25MHz". This same rule
applies to all 68k Macs AFAIK. My Q650 has a 66MHz CPU and operates at
33MHz.

One utility app to get so you can see the processor speed while it's
running, is "Clockometer" or "Gauge Pro" both freeware and also made by
Newertech, again don't know their links OH, but they're small enough to
email if you can't locate them.

Mike