My opinion as some of you may know is for 7.5.5, as it feels just as fast
as 7.1 to me anyway, but has more features and is compatible with more
newer software.

You won't really know which you prefer until you try both I guess, but
for me personall all of my 040 desktops currently run 7.5.5 (my 040
powerbooks all run 7.1.1 however, smaller footprint for the smaller hard
drives).

>>Third, what OS would you guys & gals recommend? I've got a 16M SIMM I can
>>put in it, bringing it to 20M of physical RAM, until I decide to buy a
>>bigger SIMM for it. I know I've got 7.1, 7.5.3, 7.6.1, and 8.1, but know
>
>7.1 is a lot faster than the rest.

Lots of hellos from Dan Palka's Quadra 800:
The power to be your best.