On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 01:52:27PM -0700, John Casey wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> So I've been crushed by mid-terms for the last three weeks, as a result,
> I'm only now finishing my proposals for GSOC 2017.
>
> OSS has been an interest of mine for a while and GSOC has been the push I
> needed to actually get involved.
>
> Looking at the issues list <https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues>, much
> of it seems to be far more complex than could be satisfied over the summer.
> However, the issues raised in #1117 seem appropriate to me.

This list is very broad, I strongly suggest focusing on some subset of
it. Have you seen GSoC ideas list[1]? There are also GUI and/or UX
related ideas.

As for ideas not mentioned there, take a look issues with label "UX".
For example those:

> I like the idea of improving the usability of the project because a scary
> or non existence interface can often cause users move away.
>
> Playing with GTK, I think many of these issues should be suitable for GSOC.

Oh, and there is one more thing - VM settings window. In Qubes 4.0 we're
going to decompose Qubes VM Manager into separate applications[2]. VM
status monitoring (moved to Xfce4 panel applet) is already handled by
Kalkin-, but it isn't all. Initially we've planned to reuse old Qt-based
VM settings window as standalone application and simply call it from the
menu and/or that applet. But if you'd like to rewrite it in GTK as GSoC
project, that would be great! That old Qt-based code isn't perfect piece
of software... There was an attempt to do that already and also some
code is available[3], but it's far from complete and finishing that work
(if any of that would be good enough to use...) would still be a perfect
3-month task.

> If anyone has any usability/GUI tickets that you think I should look at do
> let me know.
>
> So, I'm gonna call this fashionably late.
> John.

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/gsoc/
[2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2132
[3] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1870