> As I said I understand your point. However I think that *this* approach is
> too risky because it gives a false sense of security.
> Because it could create bad habits. Qubes doesn't really enforce any secure
> scheme.

IMO habits are created by persons so everyone is responsible for their own
actions. If you are concerned that users may make bad decisions I think it's
better to raise peoples awareness for security instead of "enforcing" things.
You can display warnings or suggestions which assist the user, but in the end
it's up to the user to decide whether it's suitable for the current case or not.

Let's take passwords for example, if you choose a weak password you might have
a problem when handling sensitive data, but then again if you only play around
with a test system without real data you might chose a weak password to make
things easier (which is totally legitimate). So it always depends on the
usecase. The Qubes installer might complain that your password is not secure
enough but it still accepts it if you persist.

> Here an improvements of my proposal. It's effectively an hybrid:
> - You put the OS in a "state". There could be two "state", one where VMs are
> shreded and one where VMs are encrypted. To make things fast VMs could
> encrypted by default. However when in a "state" a specific user provided
> password is used. I write rapidly but I think you got the point..
> - When you put in another state you could choose a paranoid mode (if the
> laptop was left alone) or simply Dom0 will decrypt other VMs (so the user
> password is asked, then forgotten).
> The point I'm trying to make clear is that the system should enforce this
> scheme. With your approach there is a false sense of security, because
> cokplexity (too password) and bad habits (one password for all, not restoring
> when it should be done and so on..).

> However it's not the point, user password isn't really usable, as you said
> before. Furthermore every VMs in this way will be implicitly in one and only
> one group. This scheme is already degenerated. As I said it will create bad
> habits..

I was making a "quick" suggestion to have 1 vm-domain for each vm so you can
unlock/decrypt a whole vm-domain with its specific password, since it's similar
to the scripts from Joe.
You could also add VMs to one or more VM-groups like you do with users, so you
could use any VM in multiple groups/domains.
Also for encrypting VM data we could use luks and add each vm-domains master
key to it (luksAddKey), so every vm-domain password that is part of this VM can
unlock that specific VM. You can also name it state or whatever you want,
important is what it does.

> I mean that they are encrypted on the non-volatile support. If I remember
> correctly you were talking about data on a hard disk.

I was refering to data being stored on harddrive with just 1 encryption key for
everything. If the system is running, all data is decrypted at once, so dom0
can access all VMs data in decrypted state. My concern was that if VM1 writes
data to the harddrive, then it would be theoretically possible that VM2 can
read this data if that hdd region ends up being mounted for VM2 somehow. I'm
not sure if this is possible under Qubes, but I've seen mixed up data under
Windows in the past. I'm assuming that it was caused by HDD corruption (not
sure how, maybe while recovering bad sectors or when using chkdsk, etc.)

I've also seen this once on Amazon servers some time ago where video content
was messed up. A normal video stream of about 20 minutes ended up being 2 hours
since other video parts were mixed into it. So basically there was data from
other streams that ended in another stream where they don't belong.

And that's exactly what I want to make sure can not happen in Qubes. Even in
the worst case scenarios with HDD, filesystem, etc. it must not be possible
that data from VM1 ends up in VM2, even if it's just small junks. So I thought
if the VMs data were encrypted individually in the first place, it wouldn't be
a problem at all if any data blocks would end up in another VMs hdd region
since it wouldn't be able to read it (encrypted with different key).