On 2016-08-21 16:43, nishiwak...@gmail.com wrote:

> Just ignore the "Firewall rules" tab of sys-firewall. Pretend it's not even
>  there.
>
> Suppose you have an AppVM in which you want to enforce specific firewall
> rules. You should go into the VM settings for *that VM*, then the "Firewall
>  rules" tab, then configure your firewall rules there. These firewall
> rules are then *enforced by* sys-firewall under the hood. Enforcing these
> rules for other VMs is sys-firewall's raison d'être.
>
> By default, there is only one VM with this job: sys-firewall. Therefore,
> there is no other VM that can perform this job *for* sys-firewall. But
> that's not a problem, because there's usually no reason to specify firewall
> rules for sys-firewall itself anyway. (Besides, you're free to create as
> many ProxyVMs as you like an chain them together.)
>

> Ok, thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I still have great
> difficulties to open up port 443 or 80 on an AppVM.
>
> I have read this comment on another thread from Alex Dubois saying :
>
> "A diagram in the wiki would help people understand.
>
> For now: A packet comming from the outside has a sourceIP of the
> workstation on the LAN that issued it or the router that routed the packet
> into your LAN and a destinationIP of your netVM externalIP (probably
> 192.168.0.x). The NetVM iptables rules are going to transform it to a
> packet with a destinationIP of your firewallVM (10.137.1.5). The firewallVM
> iptables rule are going to transform it to a packet with a desktinationIP
> of your AppVM (10.137.2.16)."
>
> I completely agree with him, a diagram would really help. I don't get why
> documentation don't address the routing basics stuff that isn't really
> basic for newbies, for random people.

The documentation is largely a volunteer effort. I'm afraid we simply don't
have the workforce to make all necessary and desirable improvements to the
documentation. We would love it if someone would submit a pull request adding
such a diagram or, in general, improving that page.

> I like a lot Qubes, this is an awesome OS, but far too complicated for
> mister everyone. I am at the point right now where frustration becomes
> overwhelming. I don't think I am not curious, trying to improve or
> understand better the way this OS works... I'm just going mad tonight,
> lol.
>
> So let me try to sum up this comment in a visual way to understand better
> how routing works on Qubes.
>
> Outside IP packet (source : AppVM or router, like on some http request) =>
> sys-net VM (destination) => firewall VM (new destination routed from
> sys-net VM with iptables) => AppVM (new destination routed from sys-net VM
> with iptables).
>
> So let's say if I deny all traffic in an AppVM and want to make exclusions
> to open only standard http(80) or https(443) protocols, am I supposed to
> enter new rules in dom0 for the AppVM's Firewall and also configure
> iptables as well, or only AppVM's Firewall exceptions are going to be
> enough please ?
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dom0-tools/qvm-firewall/ I tried to connect
> Firefox on an AppVM with this rule, launching an https site, but it failed
> :( "qvm-firewall AppVMname -a localadressofsysnet(192.168.x.x) any 443 -P
> allow"
>
> I also added a rule with vifX.X interface adress (I guess it is the bridge
> to redirect traffic to the LAN network, but this is just assumption from
> me, I didn't read about it), but still no success. Well, I might need a
> rope instead ~
>
> Anyway I probably have to deal again with this documentation
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/ and copy the automatic
> scripts executing on one of the folders that don't reset data automatically
> at reboot (/rw/config/), but I already did that to make 2 VM communicate
> each others (client/server) and anyway this doesn't matter if I can't
> communicate with the outside.
>
> Indeed, I don't understand 1 thing on the "Port forwarding to a VM from
> the outside world" part of the documentation : on the iptables scripts, do
> you have to replace "MY-HTTPS" with the name of your service please ? Like
> for hosting a server, with "apache2" service ?

Sorry, this is beyond my knowledge. My own use of Qubes (as a regular user)
has never occasioned the need to port forward to a VM from the outside world.
Perhaps it's worth appreciating that what you're attempting to do is somewhat
advanced, and therefore you should not expect it to be extremely simple. In
any case, I hope someone knowledgeable about networking will chime in to help
you with this.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS