'Gabriel' via qubes-users:
> Hi fellows,
>
> I started using qubes a while ago and I have a question concerning backups.
> What I want is a complete backup to a dedicated external USB HDD. I
> understand to achieve this all the VMs must be shut down.
> Therefore when I plugged in the HDD I mounted it in dom0 under /mnt.

You can backup a subset of VM's from the GUI.  I typically backup every
VM except the USB VM (with the external HDD attached to the USB VM and
mounted in a DispVM), under the assumption that if I'm ever restoring to
a fresh Qubes install, there will already be a USB VM there, so backing
up the USB VM isn't really needed.

Cheers,
-Jeremy