On 2016-09-27 06:59, 'Gabriel' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> I started using qubes a while ago and I have a question concerning backups.
> What I want is a complete backup to a dedicated external USB HDD. I
> understand to achieve this all the VMs must be shut down.
> Therefore when I plugged in the HDD I mounted it in dom0 under /mnt.

This is fine as long as you trust the USB device you're attaching to dom0. If
you don't, consider using a USB qube instead:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/#creating-and-using-a-usb-qube

> Questions:
> 1. When I ran Qubes VM Manager -> Backup VMs, I received an error message
> stating no place on device and a zero byte backup file. Permissions are OK,
> there's more than enough space on the HDD.
> Any reasons why the backup did not succeed?

Are you sure you selected the correct device in the menu?

> 2. I tried running qvm-backup from the command line, which ran fine, no
> permission problems on the same HDD. However, the template VMs are not
> included by default and I saw no command-line option to automatically achieve
> this. Am I missing something here?

The RPM-managed TemplateVMs should normally not be backed up. Instead, you
should clone them (if you can spare the drive space), make your customizations,
then back up the clones.

> 3. I know I can manually list all the VMs on the command line to be backed
> up, but I find that a bit awkward, so I tried this:
> qvm-ls --raw-list | xargs qvm-backup /mnt/test/
>
> but this threw a Python exception...
>
> For now I resorted to typing all the VMs by hand ... not elegant.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Try this:

  $ qvm-backup /mnt/test/ `qvm-ls --raw-list`

You can also prepare a list of VMs (one VM name per line) as a file, then:

  $ qvm-backup /mnt/test/ `cat vm_list.txt`

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org