On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 02:46:29PM +0100, Robert Mittendorf wrote:

> > It isn't the TOOL here that will "waste people's time". They waste
> > their own time by not checking beforehand.
> Why should a user always check the free disk space, if a tool can easily
> do it? That's wasting time as well. Especially in the Qubes environment,
> where you are easily handling tens of "disks" (at least one per Qube)
> and you most likely do not always now which disk is how big and how full.

The obvious answer is that they would check to avoid wasting time.
Can a tool do this? Obviously. And it could try to automagically clean up
and find free space.
Do I want that in Qubes? Not really.

> > There are some OS and tools
> > that try to fix this, but you see plenty of users baffled by the way
> > they work, and unsure why the warning arise. Best to keep it simple imo.
> >
> > unman
> One basic principle of usability is to make it hard to make mistakes
> (including destroying work/files).
>
> As I stated before I think the protocol would not have to become "more
> non-unidirectional" to improve on this.

There is, I think, no question of destroying work or files. The simplicity of
the
tools militates against that.
Obviously, if you want to add this feature, you can. A simple wrapper
like this could be a start:

#!/bin/bash
DEST=$1
FILE=$2
SIZE=`du -B 1K $FILE|cut -f1`
FREE=`qvm-run $DEST df /rw --output=avail|tail -n1`
if [ $FREE -gt $SIZE ]
then
qvm-copy-to-vm $DEST $FILE
else
echo "Not enough space on $DEST!"
fi

Obviously this should be implemented using the qrexec framework

unman