On 03/08/2017 08:50 AM, taii...@gmx.com wrote:

"The Linux kernel, I believe, is clean.

You lost me right there. I don't believe in hero worship, and if anyone thinks Linus is fallible it is the people on this list.

Systemd may not be the best thing to happen to Linux, but compared to relying on the chronic ineptitude of sysv system state handling (esp. PC/laptop power modes) its a godsend.

Systemd exists because Apple made it abundantly clear with OS X launchd that sysv init couldn't cut the mustard... and then Ubuntu followed suit with Upstart. Eventually, systemd was shown to be better engineered than Upstart. IMO, advocating a return to init instead of another launchd-like arbiter shows bad judgment.

This describes systemd perfectly. It was almost like it was designed to
touch as much of a Linux system as possible. It has hooks into some many
different subsystems and APIs that it's almost impossible to build a
modern distro with current software without pulling in systemd as a
dependency. This happened almost overnight, and I think there are
malicious forces at work here."

You can have "small and separate tools" some of the time, but it doesn't work as an unyielding rule for modern systems which require lots of vertical integration of useful hardware features.

Network Manager taking over from the old, sclerotic network layer is a prime example of this. MAC address anonymization using the old "small tools used together" philosophy gave us 'macchanger' and scripts that couldn't deliver the sought-after behavior without making the user bend over backwards to accommodate the patchy device management (restart your netVM after waking from sleep, etc).

It shows that simplicity applied in the wrong way and the wrong places (or adhered to like fundamentalist religion) actually makes systems more *brittle* and less secure.

Xen allows us a much better mixture of complexity and simplicity.

Interesting issue, but not related to the question of design complexity. This could be entered as a Qubes issue to address the question of default settings (I don't want the Google settings either).

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett