On 03/10/2017 06:33 PM, hib0...@gmail.com wrote:
Im sure this has been kicked into a pulp (considering the threads and the text in the sudoers
files) but I am still perturbed by the argument that allowing unrestricted sudo to root in a DomU
VM is "safe" and there is "no benefit" to disallowing it.  Perhaps I am
misunderstanding something, I have only installed and begun to pull the system apart today, so bear
with me.

Hi,

I used to be in the "only VM isolation matters" camp. But then I realized there is no reason NOT to keep the guest OS security intact; that's how it was designed to be used.

Furthermore, assuming that Linus & Co are never going to come through with a patch for vuln X before your systems encounter X is foolhardy. I'd rather give the guest OS a chance to stop attacks..... especially if the OS is already configured to do that.

Re-enabling sudo security is possible; check out the vmsudo doc:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett