On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 01:10:32PM -0800, Daniel Moerner wrote:
> On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:55:08 PM UTC-5, Unman wrote:
> > So yes, in a very real sense, it doesn't matter
> > to me if the qube where I collect mail, (which isn't the qube where I
> > read it) is compromised in some way.
>
> Hi Unman,
>
> Could you explain your setup for collecting mail in one Qube and reading it
> in another? I currently use Qubes for each mail account, running mutt and
> offlineimap, and opening links in disposable VMs. But collecting mail in one
> Qube and reading it in another is interesting to me.
>
> Daniel

Hello Daniel

It was interesting to see someone else in the thread refer to a
similar setup. (Look at 7v5w7go9ub0o earlier.) They use a disposableVM to
process the mail.

I use a number of different mail servers: like you I use mutt and
offlineimap,(and rsync and notmuch).
I use mini templates in different flavours, mailcaps to open files in
disposableVMs. (Lots of people will hate everything about this.) I use
more than one TorVM.

I have multiple dispVMTemplates, some online and some not. A mail
archive is not network connected and is based on a mini template.
Like 7v5w7go9ub0o I use simple scripting - fire up disposableVM, run
rsync/offlineimap, qvm-move mailfile in to reader. Process mail, with any
attachments opened in disposableVM, as you do, using Split GPG.
Outgoing mail is copied to a mailqueue in another qube, and sent from
there.

As far as use is concerned, it just feels like any other mutt
session. Everything is scripted, (and tied together with bits of
string) but it works. The only difference from what you are doing is that
your mutt qube is network connected. and mine isn't.

Of course, in other cases I'll ssh to a box and use mail from there -
or use some webmail - that's straight forward

I'm sure there are many users doing something similar.

unman