On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 08:49:10AM -0500, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 03/11/2017 08:10 AM, Unman wrote:
>

> >Anyway, it's a argument that could go on. I dont agree that "the
> >chance for improved security comes for free". It's absolutely clear that
> >Qubes aims to balance security with usability - some of the compromises
> >that have been made seem wrong to me, this isnt one of them. I take
> >steps to mitigate changes I dont like - you should do the same if you
> >want a password on root access.
> >But for most users (particulary new users) there is a cost to
> >introducing passwrd access, and it's convenience.
>
> Its not based on passwords. Its the same Yes/No dom0 auth dialog that
> controls qvm-copy. Except it remembers auth for a certain amount of time the
> way sudo normally does.
>
> Notice the detractors haven't tried it and think it means assigning
> passwords to VMs.
>

> >Joanna refers to this
> >in the explanation. It's clear from the forums that many users struggle
> >with the Qubes ideas anyway - I cant see that this change would make
> >things easier for them. (Presumably you would need to have different
> >password across different templates.)
>
> Most are already used to UAC Yes/No prompt on Windows. This is pretty
> similar.

> >The answer to this is encouraging users to make good use of isolation,
> >qube use and Qubes features. That isnt irresponsible. It's a way of
> >dealing with the problem. I think you would need to develop a much more
> >detailed argument to convince me that the answer to malware infections
> >is putting a password on root access.
>
> I didn't purport to provide "the answer"... strawman argument.
>
> What it comes down to is a matter of degrees and costs.
>

> >As far as I can see most people, particularly new users with some linux
> >background, just dont like the idea of passwordless root. That's fine.
> >That's why there's a page devoted to it, and a solution.
>
> Well, its still passwordless with the vm-sudo auth.
>
> You should try it. :)
>

> >There's no real security
> >advantage in enabling it but if you want to you can.
>
> I think its a mistake to deny that guest OS permissions can contribute some
> additional margin of security.
>
> If it means a less attractive environment for script kiddies to raise
> hell--- chewing up resources, attacking other computers, creating footholds
> for more advanced threats--- then I can invest 3 min. to enable it.

Chris

There was no straw man argument here - you raised the issue of "malware
zoos" in the context of a discussion of passwordless sudo - it's
natural to think that you see it as an answer. I cant see it plays any
role.

This is particularly so given your suggestion that the root access
"remembers auth for a certain amount of time" - decent targeted
attacks would have a stub firing to check if sudo was enabled every
few minutes, and would hit the target of opportunity you have opened
for them. This really isnt a solution. (I see the same with people who
think they are immune from viruses because they only connect to the
internet for brief periods.)

There are many things I havent tried, and I think this is going to be
one of them. If Qubes policy were to change, then I would consider
following it depending on what the reason was for the change, but that's
a choice I would make. I still cant see that anyone has provided a
reason why " guest OS permissions can contribute some additional margin
of security". You think this is a mistake on my part.

cheers

unman