On Tuesday, 2 May 2017 12:53:04 UTC+10, Gaiko  wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Gaiko Kyofusho <gaikokuji...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Unman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 06:13:46PM -0400, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I looked up about host files, and found the
>
> > github.com/StevenBlack/hosts file which is handy but what I am still a bit
>
> > confused about is where to put it. The reason I assumed dom0 before was I
>
> > thought anything put in /etc/ would be erased on reboot which seems to be
>
> > happening, is there someway around this or perhaps I should be putting it
>
> > in the template?
>

> You can put the file in /rw/config, and then in /rw/config/rc.local
>
> include:
>
> cat /rw/config/hosts >> /etc/hosts
>
> Or you can use bind-dirs to make /etc/hosts survive a reboot.
>

> Thanks. I am not sure how to bind dirs but I understand putting the file in
> the config dir and cat'ing it into /etc/hosts... but since those are write
> protected dirs would the rc.local execute those commands as root (or su or
> sudo not sure about the terminology here)? I ask because when i try:
>

> source rc.localĀ
>

> it gives me permission denied errors, I tried adding "sudo" in front but that
> didn't seem to help?
>

> oops, sent prematurly. When I try to restart the vm, then go into the
> terminal and:
> less /etc/hosts
>

> it still seems to be the origonal and not updated hosts?

The hosts file is one of the files in the base, so it's always replaced.

I recommend creating a hosts file in the /rw directory, then in rc.local
deleting the hosts file and creating a link to the one in /rw

That's what I do, and it works like a charm.

Other than that, you can set up an internal DNS server that hangs off the
proxyVM to handle all DNS requests from all other guests that hang off that
ProxyVM.

It's just another simple solution.