On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 9:43:52 AM UTC-4, Gaiko wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 9:53:30 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> > On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 10:53:04 PM UTC-4, Gaiko wrote:
> > > On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Gaiko Kyofusho <gaikokuji...@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:

> > > You can put the file in /rw/config, and then in /rw/config/rc.local
> > >
> > > include:
> > >
> > > cat /rw/config/hosts >> /etc/hosts
> > >
> > > Or you can use bind-dirs to make /etc/hosts survive a reboot.
> > >

> > > Thanks. I am not sure how to bind dirs but I understand putting the file
> > > in the config dir and cat'ing it into /etc/hosts... but since those are
> > > write protected dirs would the rc.local execute those commands as root
> > > (or su or sudo not sure about the terminology here)? I ask because when i
> > > try:
> > >

> > > source rc.localĀ
> > >

> > > it gives me permission denied errors, I tried adding "sudo" in front but
> > > that didn't seem to help?
> > >

> > > oops, sent prematurly. When I try to restart the vm, then go into the
> > > terminal and:
> > > less /etc/hosts
> > >

> > > it still seems to be the origonal and not updated hosts?
> >
> > to filter http is a pain.  I use lists from iblocklist.com in peerguardian
> > on debian vm.  so you can use mouse to temp allow stuff sometimes. it
> > blocks like between 2 and 3 mil ip addresses.  only ipv4 though and
> > probalby some overlap.  I disable ipv6 in grub.  but you have to not use
> > the pc or have crazy discipline.
>
> So when you say in a debian vm, do you happen to mean as a debian vm via
> proxy? Like in the middle of your vm?
>
> Slightly off topic but would sites "see" host files or peergaurdian (ie
> blocking but not at the browser level) as blocking? Some sites give you guff
> about blocking and there is also the privacy aspect of making ones self even
> more unique.
>
> thx!

you can put it in a proxy too.  I wouldn't trust it in anything trusted or
sensitive.

Some sites do give a warning, but its rare.  Usually,  something on a site just
doesn't work or load till you allow something.  To filter all these scripts and
ips from websites really isn't that practical.  I'm a little nuts too cause I
only temp allow stuff 90% of the time.  The use is similar to noscript, but for
ips.